Adapted Application Solution
Custom Connectors for Electric Vehicle Engines
Corrosion-Resistant Connector with Heavy-Duty Seal Protects from Road Abrasion and Climate
A major U.S. automotive manufacturer was developing a totally-electric version of their popular pick-up truck for fleet sales to utility companies throughout North America. Part of their program specifications called for a lightweight yet heavy-duty electric alternative fuel drive cell.
The Remke Engineered Solution:
To meet the specific requirements of the application, the Remke Engineered Solutions Team proposed an Adapted Application Solution would be the best answer.
The Remke Engineered Solutions team:
- Designed an aluminum connector with nickel-plating that would be lightweight and corrosion-resistant with these features -
- An O-ring for a watertight seal
- Nickel-plated ferrule to protect the cable.
- Over-braiding for the cable that would slide onto a ferrule
- A stainless-steel clamp that would hold the overbraiding onto the connector to ensure an environmental seal.
This custom Remke connector was offered in two versions – one with a PG 16 metric thread and the other with a standard ½” NPT thread. The connector would be used to connect the battery pack to the drive train and the drive train to the computer module. It would also terminate the mechanical stainless steel shielding so that the cable would not get damaged.
The Remke Engineered Solution met all of the criteria and parameters provided. The car manufacturer and their drive-train vendor were especially pleased with the lightweight materials & design because that was important to the efficiency of the engine so that it could compensate for the weight of the motor and battery. The Remke solution became a standard component in the electric vehicle engine.